At Arvada Dental Center, Drs. Gregory Bennett and Andrew Timmerman believe that a beautiful smile isn’t the only goal for patients. It should also be a healthy smile. There are many ways in which patients of the Arvada, CO area can keep their teeth, gums, and bone healthy with the help of our dental professionals. We invite you to continue reading to learn more about caring for your smile and reduce your risk of damage and disease.
How can I improve the quality of my teeth and smile?
Achieving a beautiful, healthy smile is essential for many patients. Below are ten tips to achieving and maintaining a smile free from periodontal disease and tooth decay:
- Routine dental visits. Patients should visit their dentist every six months as advised by the American Dental Association. This allows for monitoring one’s oral health and wellness over time to catch problems early.
- Proper brushing routine. Patients should brush after every meal or at least twice a day to remove bacteria and plaque from the surfaces of the teeth and gums.
- Utilize a mouthwash. Integrating a mouthwash into one’s dental health routine is a wise decision, as it allows for extra breath freshening.
- Proper toothbrush. Patients should always make sure they have the right tools for a healthy smile, including the right kind of toothbrush. A soft-bristled toothbrush is a way to go for many of our patients who need to maintain oral health.
- Proper toothpaste. Look for toothpaste that has fluoride, which can strengthen the natural tooth enamel.
- Use of a nightguard, if needed. Patients with conditions such as bruxism may experience clenching and grinding of the teeth while they rest. This can damage the natural teeth and dental restorations. Our dentists will often recommend using a nightguard to reduce tension in the jaw joints and muscles and protect teeth and restorations from breakage.
- Avoid excessive sugars and carbs. Sugars and carbs can pair with harmful bacteria in the smile and cause the formation of acids that can burrow into a tooth, causing cavities. Be easy on candy and bread, and be sure to brush after consumption to protect your smile.
- Floss the teeth at least once a day. Patients are advised to floss after every meal or at least once a day. Many patients floss at night before bed to remove food particles that might become stuck between teeth.
- Keep your dentist updated. Tell your dentist about any changes that might have occurred between routine dental cleanings and examinations.
- Call your dentist when problems arise. Instead of waiting for a problem to become a bigger issue, we encourage patients to call the dentist when problems arise for early diagnosis and intervention.
What is the importance of regular dental visits?
Visiting the dentist every six months, or as directed by your dentist, allows our team of professionals to monitor the health of your smile over time. Our team is educated on looking for signs of infection, abscesses, or cavities to provide early diagnosis and treatment. Many conditions can be easily treated with early detection and immediate treatment, lowering the risks of losing teeth, gums, or bone to certain dental conditions.
Call our dental clinic in Arvada, CO
If you want dental cleaning and exams in the Arvada area, now is the perfect time to talk to Drs. Gregory Bennett and Andrew Timmerman to discuss your needs. We are conveniently located at 5220 Wadsworth Bypass, Unit C, and are excited to meet you! Call (303) 421-7611 to request an appointment at our practice and learn about the various healthy teeth tips to achieve and maintain good oral health and wellness with our team.